Our Essential Link Building Tips for 2023
We hope that the tips and strategies we’ve laid out for you in this post will not only help increase your knowledge of link building, but through what you learn you will be able to apply it to your own websites and gain quality links to help improve your SEO.
For years, 2 of the most important pillars of SEO have been content and link building. To this day they both remain a crucial component of any successful search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. With search engines like Google continuously updating their algorithms, staying on top of the latest link building techniques is essential for businesses looking to improve their website’s organic search rankings. In this blog post, we’ll explore six powerful tips for link building in 2023, each designed to help you generate high-quality backlinks and boost your site’s search engine visibility.
All of the tips and strategies listed in this blog post are going to be “white hat” SEO tactics. White hat tactics are methods that fall within Google’s guidelines and have no risk of getting devalued. Check back in the near future for a post on black hat link building tactics that will go through these in detail.
Focus on Creating High-Quality, Shareable Content
A cornerstone of any link building campaign is the creation of high-quality, shareable content. In 2023, content remains king, and creating valuable, informative, and engaging content is more important than ever. There are several forms of content that you can create to attract links, such as blog posts, videos, infographics, and podcasts, to just name a few. By developing content that appeals to your target audience, you’ll naturally attract more backlinks as people share your articles, videos, infographics, and other content formats.
To create high-quality content that stands out in the crowded online landscape, consider the following:
- Comprehensive, well-researched articles that provide in-depth information on a specific topic
- Data-driven content supported by original research or industry statistics
- Visually appealing infographics that simplify complex concepts
- Engaging video content or webinars that offer valuable insights and advice
Build Relationships with Industry Influencers
Working with industry influencers is an effective way to build high-quality backlinks and gain exposure for your brand. By partnering with respected thought leaders and influencers in your niche, you can leverage their existing audiences and create opportunities for valuable backlinks.
Here are some strategies for building relationships with influencers
Engage with them on social media platforms, commenting on their posts, and sharing their content. Once you have built some rapport with them, try reaching out to them in their DM’s where you can ask them to look at your content and see if they will consider sending links to it from their own online properties. Make sure only to make this ask after you have had some regular conversations, making your relationship with them seem more personal and not like you are just trying to use them. Keep in mind that this strategy can take quite some time, especially if the person you’re reaching out to is very popular or famous, as your messages may go unnoticed for a time. Don’t give up though and keep messaging them!
Offer guest posting opportunities on your website, allowing them to share their expertise with your audience. This strategy is great because it allows you to utilize user generated content, taking the burden off of yourself to produce that content yourself. However, you’ll want to be careful with this tactic by reviewing the content that people send to you to post on your website. For one you’ll want to make sure the content you get is topically relevant, meaning that it relates to what your site talks about, the products it sells, or the services you provide. Getting random content added to your site could be seen by Google as your site being part of a private blog network. Resulting in some severe consequences for your website and its rankings.
Reach out to them for expert opinions or quotes to include in your content, which they may then share with their followers.
Remember, building relationships with influencers takes time and effort. Start by identifying key players in your industry and focusing on cultivating genuine connections with them.
Utilize Guest Posting Wisely
Guest posting continues to be a popular link building tactic in 2023, but it’s crucial to approach it strategically. Rather than focusing solely on acquiring backlinks, prioritize building relationships with reputable websites in your niche and providing valuable content to their audiences.
To make the most of guest posting, follow these tips:
- Identify high-authority websites in your industry with a significant, engaged audience. To do this you’ll want to use some sort of tool that will allow you to view a site’s web traffic, such as Ahrefs or SEMrush. You’ll also want to look at social profiles associated with the website you’re looking at, and then determine the amount of engagement their post on their social profiles get.
- Research their content to understand what topics resonate with their readers. Jump into their blog posts and see what topics they’re writing about. You can also use one of the tools I mentioned above to look at what keywords a website is ranking for, this will also give you insight into what topics they are writing about.
- Pitch unique, well-researched article ideas tailored to their audience’s interests. To do this you’ll want to look for content opportunities where the site is lacking. This could mean offering them a piece of well written content that covers a topic related to their industry that they haven’t posted about. You could also try to offer them a piece of content that could replace an article they have that might have outdated information, make sure to highlight that point when you make your offer.
- Always prioritize quality over quantity, ensuring your guest posts are informative, engaging, and well-written.
Utilize Broken Link Building
Broken link building is a time-tested link building strategy that remains effective in 2023. This technique involves finding broken links on reputable websites, creating relevant content to replace the missing resource, and reaching out to the site owner to suggest replacing the broken link with a link to your content.
How to Implement Broken Link Building
Use tools like Ahrefs or SEMrush to find broken links on high-authority websites in your niche. Analyze the missing content to understand its purpose and the value it provided. Create high-quality, relevant content that serves as a suitable replacement for the missing resource. Reach out to the site owner, politely informing them of the broken link and suggesting your content as a replacement.
Remember to be respectful and professional in your outreach, focusing on the value your content offers their audience.
Leverage the Power of Social Media
In 2023, social media continues to play a vital role in link building. By actively promoting your content on various social media platforms, you can increase its visibility, attract more organic backlinks, and build relationships with influencers and industry peers.
To harness the power of social media for link building, consider these strategies:
- Share your content on relevant social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. The more platforms you utilize to share your content, the more people it is likely to reach and the higher chance of engagement your posts will have.
- Use hashtags and keywords strategically to increase your content’s discoverability. Use contextually relevant keywords as your hashtag when post to a platform like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. This will help ensure that your posts get seen by the people who you want to reach, as those people are more likely to be following those hashtags.
- Engage with your followers by responding to comments and joining relevant conversations. This is a great way to not only solidify your following but also attract new followers as well. The more you’re seen engaging online, the more of a trusted source you become. On top of all this, it puts you out in front of other industry peers and leaders who you can connect with and develop relationships.
- Collaborate with influencers in your industry to expand your reach. This tip goes back to the one previously mentioned, as you become more recognizable online the likelihood of you developing relationships with influencers and leaders in your industry goes up as well. Which you can then leverage towards your link building through collaboration.
Keep in mind that each social media platform has its unique demographics and content preferences. Tailor your social media strategy to the platforms that are most relevant to your target audience.
Monitor and Analyze Your Backlink Profile
In 2023, tracking and analyzing your backlink profile remains an essential aspect of successful link building. Regularly monitoring your backlinks allows you to assess the effectiveness of your link building strategies, identify potential issues, and uncover new opportunities for growth.
Effectively Monitoring and Analyzing Your Backlink Profile
Utilize SEO tools like Ahrefs, Moz, or SEMrush to track your backlinks and gain insights into their quality, relevance, and authority.
Regularly review your backlink profile to identify and disavow low-quality or spammy links that may harm your website’s SEO. Low quality links can damage your SEO because Google’s Panda algorithm update sees those links as an extension of the domain they’re coming from. So for example, if a domain that is linking to your site is identified as a PBN or a spammy website by Panda and it gets penalized. All websites getting links from the domain will also be penalized.
Analyze your competitors’ backlink profiles to uncover new link building opportunities and benchmark your progress against industry standards. This is a great way to begin curating a list of domains to reach out to. Run backlink reports on a number of your competitors and leading websites in your industry, take note of the most common domains with the highest web traffic and DA’s. Once you’ve completed your list, begin looking into those sites and see what you can offer them in exchange for links.
By staying proactive and data-driven in your approach to link building, you can continually refine your strategies and achieve better results over time.
As we forge ahead into 2023, link building remains a critical aspect of search engine optimization. By focusing on creating high-quality, shareable content, building relationships with industry influencers, leveraging guest posting, broken link building, and social media, and regularly monitoring your backlink profile, you can significantly improve your website’s organic search rankings and drive valuable traffic.
Stay informed and agile in your approach to link building, even if you’ve hired an SEO agency or have a website management company that manages your digital marketing. Keep our tips in mind and you’ll remain knowledgeable about the help you’re getting and be well-equipped to navigate the ever-changing landscape of SEO and digital marketing in 2023 and beyond.
Link Building FAQ's
To assess the effectiveness of your link building efforts, track key performance indicators (KPIs) such as:
- The number and quality of backlinks acquired.
- Changes in organic search traffic.
- Improved search engine rankings for targeted keywords.
- Increased domain authority and domain rating.
- Growth in referral traffic and user engagement metrics.
The time it takes to see results from link building varies, depending on factors such as your website's current authority, the competitiveness of your industry, and the quality of your link building strategies. It's essential to be patient, as link building is a long-term process that may take several months or even longer to yield significant results.
While nofollow links do not directly contribute to your website's search engine rankings, they can still provide value in other ways. Nofollow links can help drive referral traffic, increase brand visibility, and build relationships with industry influencers. Additionally, having a mix of both dofollow and nofollow links in your backlink profile appears more natural to search engines, potentially benefiting your overall SEO efforts.